Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bye, bye paci!!

Over the last 9 months, Lydia's pacifier usage had gotten way out of hand! It was to the point that she would have it all day long on some days. She had it at school, when we would got out, everywhere. When I tried to hide them, she would find them under the crib or climb up to get it, etc. She was even talking with it in, which is something I have always despised! I had said when we moved here that I was going to take it away, but there were so many changes going on in her little life, that I didn't think it was fair to do that to her. SO, I made it my plan to take it away after our trip to the US.

I waited until the Friday after we got back to do it so it was on the weekend in case she had a horrible night. I prepared her the night before and told her that that was her last night with the pacifier and that she was a big girl now. She said okay, but I don't really think she understood. I actually took them away mid-day on Friday. I collected them all, put them in a plastic container, filled it with water, and stuck it in the freezer (thanks for the idea, Kel). I didn't want to throw them away in case something happened that I absolutely needed them (they don't sell her kind here), but I also didn't want to be able to get them in a desperate moment.

She asked for it a couple times throughout the day and threw little fits, but I knew the night would be much more difficult. We told her that the pacifiers went bye, byes and she's a big girl now, etc, etc. She was not having it and threw a big fit, but did eventually fall asleep. She woke up twice that night screaming for her pacifier and it was very difficult to console her, but she did, eventually fall back asleep and she woke up the next morning very happy and proud of herself. The first thing she said when she got up was, "I a big girl!"

The next day she didn't ask for it at all and I actually think she was happier without it. I know she had a lot more trouble falling asleep that night because she got out of her bed three times, but she did eventually fall asleep and I think she only got up once that night.

Now, over a week later, I know that she hasn't been sleeping as well as she used to because she gets up sometimes in the night and she's been waking up a lot earlier than she had been (like 5:30 one morning....ugh!), but I'm hoping it's only a temporary thing. I'm just happy I don't have to look at her with it in her mouth all day and that the gap in her front teeth won't get any worse from it! I do have to admit, though, when I see the pacifiers frozen in the freezer, I do get a little sad. My last baby is getting so big and doesn't need a pacifier anymore! It's definitely bittersweet, but it was past time and we're ready for the next stages!

No comments: