Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Oaxaca - Day 1

My Dad and Anna intentionally came over a long weekend for the kids and James so we could travel to another city in Mexico. I gave them a couple of choices and they chose Oaxaca (wa'xaca). I spent about a month researching Oaxaca and couldn't wait for this trip!



We all piled in the car early Friday morning, made a Starbuck's stop and were on our way. It was a beautiful, easy drive. Even with traffic in Queretaro, a missed exit, and construction in the mountains closer to Oaxaca, we made it to the house we rented in 7 hours.



Lydia fell asleep thinking hard about something!

We had gorgeous scenery the entire time.
A big debate in the car was whether or not this mountain
in snowcovered or if it's just the white, sandy surface...
whatever it is, it's beautiful.


Pictures just don't do it justice





I found a house to rent on Vacation Rental By Owner (vrbo.com). When we were driving up there, we were a little concerned about what we would find, but it had an amazing view. They charged us $150 a night for a three bedroom house with a pool (it's cheaper if you stay for a week or longer!). The only downside were a few (very large) spiders, but that became a game for my Dad and James by the end of our stay! I would highly recommend it to larger families. You can't beat the price!



Lydia checking out the grounds and the view


The house was decorated with tons of Oaxaca handicrafts

After we got settled, we headed to Oaxaca's Centro. Oaxaca is the culinary capital of Mexico. It is famous for their mole sauce, so we wanted to make sure we tried it. We walked to the large main square, Zocalo. There were tents and booths set up all around with people selling things everywhere you looked. On the second floor, overlooking the main square, we went to a restaurant called, La Casa de la Abuela. The view was nice and the food was delicious! We all tried the mole negro which is made from spices and chocolate. James and I have not really enjoyed the mole here in Mexico, but this was fantastic! They know how to do it right in Oaxaca!


Yum!


Apparently the mole stains because they
put bibs on everyone who orders it


The massive church on the main square


A view from the restaurant of a part of Zocalo


The restaurant



They had live music the whole night
and the whole town was hopping!


We stopped in a store and Nolan
wanted to shake this guy's hand

This is as close as Ethan would get!

We walked out of the store and I noticed this guy standing completely still in the middle of the road. I pointed him out to the boys. We decided that it would be a good idea to put money in the tin can in front of him to see what he would do. He started clicking and moving like a robot and then stuck his hand out for the kids to shake. They got a huge kick out of it! They kept putting money in so they could shake his hand. By the time we walked away, there were tons of people giving him money and watching his act.








The beautiful Santo Domingo Church at night


The altar...there was a wedding taking place


I normally would not have put this picture in the blog, but this "balloon" was a huge hit with the kids. I don't know where they found it, but when I came out of the church James was trying to get them to stop playing with it because it was a blown up condom, not a balloon! He was unsuccessful and they ran around chasing it until it popped when it got too close to a cactus!

No comments: