Saturday, November 20, 2010

Oaxaca Centro

There was so much we wanted to see in Oaxaca, but we had to forego a couple things to be able to spend more time in the actual city of Oaxaca. We were told that we had to have the hot chocolate or chocolate milk, so, right away, we headed to Chocolate Mayordomo. I, of course, wasn't so interested in trying it since I don't like chocolate, but the kids (and other adults) loved it. None of us could believe how fast Lydia sucked her's down...I'm not sure she even took a breath!

The kids drinking their chocolate milk


Lydia drinking...I guess she did take one breath





After everyone's bellies were filled with chocolate milk, we headed to a couple of the markets; Mercado de Artesanias which had a lot more of the local crafts, Mercado 20 de Noviembre which was all food stalls and the cleanest and most spacious mercado I've seen in Mexico, and Mercado Juarez which was a typical mercado and where James bought his barrel tequila dispenser.


The kids walking down the street with their new

recorders...I'm sure everyone on the streets

loved the "music" they were making!


Chapulines (seasoned, dried grasshoppers).

They are a local delicacy in Oaxaca and they sell them all over the city. I have had them before, but I did try another one. They are actually pretty good. I couldn't eat a whole bag, but tastier than I thought they would be. The surprise was that Nolan tried one and liked it. I turned around and he had half of it in his mouth chewing away. No one else was brave enough to try them. James said if they didn't look so much like Grasshoppers, he would have...yeah right.

Nolan biting his grasshopper in half

My friend, Katrina. There was a huge one in the middle

of the street, so I had to take a picture with her!




Taking a break in a doorway



A picture of a street on the north side of Zocalo.

That side of the city, near Santo Domingo Church, seems newer with lots of restaurants and shopping. The only bummer was that a lot of things were not open on Sunday. Had I known that, I would have planned a little differently, but we did find a nice restaurant and pleny to do. Definitely a different energy than Friday night though.

The side of Santo Domingo Church


Tequila and Sangrita...Dad's first time!


Lydia pointing at "la luna" She is obsessed with the moon!


The ceiling in the entryway of Santo Domingo


The bells of Santo Domingo

Ethan and Nolan being goofy in front of the church


I loved the plam trees lining the street




Another church close by


James and Nolan doing some more shopping at some stalls on the street


Nolan and Lydia playing with one of the vendor's kids


Dad and Nolan strolling back to the car


One more view on the way home from Oaxaca.


We had a great trip and will definitely try to go back before we move from Mexico!

No comments: