Sunday, September 19, 2010

Balenarios

All around Mexico, there are natural hot springs, so there are many areas that have taken advantage and made a park out of it with very warm pools. The closest balnearios are outside of San Miguel (about an hour away). Friends of ours invited us to go this weekend, bring a picnic lunch and just hang out. It was the first time we've been to a hot spring and it was PERFECT!

My kids can hang out in hot tubs all day long, so this is right up their alley. They had a ball. We had lunch and then jumped around to the different kinds of pools. The first ones we went to were covered and you went into what looked like a cave to enter. I, unfortunately, didn't get any pictures of that, but I have more pictures coming from Tara that I will add to this post at a later date. The second group of pools is where we hung out the longest. They were a group of three pools that got warmer as you went along and it was surrounded by rocks.

Picnic lunch
In the covered hot springs

Lydia and Daddy enjoying time in the warm water

Angela and Macy

Tara with Nolan, Lydia, James and Ethan

Ethan under the mineral water spout

It was the weirdest thing, when I got out of the pools, my legs felt really heavy. I have no idea why, but it was a very strange sensation. After the three rock pools we went over and hung out by the regular-looking pool with hot water. The adults sat out and talked while the kids played. Nolan and Lydia had a blast. They found a hole in the side of the pool that they kept singing into (and fighting over). Lydia was so funny. First of all, she kept acting like she couldn't get out of the pool, so people would help her out and she would turn around and get right back in. About a half dozen people fell for it. Then, she made friends with a Mexican family that was hanging out in the pool. There were about 6-8 of them and by the end of the visit, they were carrying her around and chasing her and she was laughing and yelling, "mas, mas!" When we left, she had all of them waving goodbye to her from the other side of the pool. I was so bummed that my camera ran out of batteries and I didn't get any more pictures, but we all had a great time!

No comments: