Friday, March 26, 2010

Perfect Fit

A couple of nights ago, Nolan decided to stick a popcorn kernel up his nose. I was organizing outside and came in to see Nolan bringing a popcorn kernel up to his nose. As soon as I saw that, I knew that there was one already up there. I got a flashlight and, sure enough, there was the kernel stuck pretty far up his nose. I tried to have him blow his nose, but all he would do was suck in. When James got home, he tried for a while to get him to blow his nose or dig it out, but it wasn't budging, so I called the pediatrician. She called the ENT and, luckily, they work really late here, and he was still at his office at the hospital.

So, at 8:30 at night James and I headed, for our first time, to the hospital. We have been saying since we moved here that we should probably figure out where the hospital is, just in case. Well, now we now where it is! The whole time on the way to the hospital Nolan was freaking out that the popcorn kernel would end up in his eye!

When we got to the ENT, we got right in (there were people in the waiting room this late at night!). The Dr. said that he has two chances to get it out because then it would get too irritated. He had me sit and have Nolan on my lap and hold him tightly with my arms and legs. Nolan is very strong and the first attempt I couldn't hold him, so it was unsuccessful. The ENT said that if he couldn't get it out the second time, he would have to call anesthesia. This time James pushed down Nolan's legs and pushed his head against my chest...success! The popcorn kernel was out of the nose! It was a bit expanded too, so I'm glad we went when we did. Another exciting adventure with Nolan....

1 comment:

The Paulk's said...

Oh my goodness, Nolan! You're right, never a dull moment with that kid...but how boring would your lives be without him :)!