Sunday, March 21, 2010

Getting settled...

Well, this week some loose ends were tied up. Our house in Galesburg closed and we got our surface shipment! I felt like I did a pretty good job of going through and getting rid of things and putting things in storage, but, holy cow do we have a lot of stuff! I was a little overwhelmed at first, but we have plenty of room for everything we brought. It's funny, when you've lived without your things for 6 weeks, you realize you don't need most of it! I would have been perfectly happy with just getting my bed! Ahhh, our bed is SO comfortable!

Last week I also had conferences with both Ethan and Nolan's teachers. They are both adjusting well, but each of them has their own issues. Ethan's teacher said that Ethan is so sweet and she loves having him in her class. He is doing very well in most things, he just needs to work on handwriting and completing his homework. That has been an issue at home. Apparently, he tells Ms. Maricela that he doesn't have time to work on homework and finish it, but, at home, he tells me that he doesn't know what he's supposed to do. I tell him constantly that he needs to listen in class to know what he needs to do because it's his responsibility. SO, we will be working on that!

Nolan is having a few more issues, but I'm not too concerned since this is such a big change for him! He needs to work on his small motor skills and listening skills (no surprise there!). Also, she said that he doesn't play with anyone on the playground. He likes to play by himself. This made me sad, but he's always been that way. I think he's a little bit of a loner. Hopefully he'll get more comfortable with the other kids and start playing with them. Right now, I'm just glad that he's enjoying school!

Although we had a lot of unpacking and organizing to do, we managed to have a fun weekend. Friday, Gude made taquitos for us and they were so good! Saturday, we had a party at the boys' school. They had games, rides, bouncys, food, and entertainment. The kids had a great time, but we couldn't stay too long because we had a work party to go to.

A guy that James works with had their group over to his house for a Mexican BBQ. We had carne asada, arrachera, chorizo, stuffed jalapenos, tortillas, guacamole, etc, etc. The food was great and the people were very nice. This group had younger kids, so it was nice for our kids to have kids their ages to play with (and for us not to have the youngest kids!). Lydia has attached herself to the Renwick boys (James' boss' 3 sons, also Americans). She especially loves the oldest, Jack (12). She played with him, followed him around, and watched him adoringly as he ate his dinner. He is so good with her and it makes our life a lot easier, but James is not happy that she's started flirting at such a young age. Say what you want, but she defininately knows what she's doing! It would have been a perfect time to practice my Spanish with the wives (some of them weren't fluent in english), but I just couldn't do it. I'm not confident enough in my Spanish yet, but I need to just try and make mistakes!
Sunday was back to organizing. We took some time out in the middle of the day to watch the Spartans make it back to the sweet sixteen! It was a great end to the game and we got to watch it on the big screen, via the internet! We were so excited that James found March Madness online!
Some pictures from the party at the school...

No comments: