Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lydia's TWO!!!

I am not sure this is a good thing, but, as much as I tried to stop it, Lydia turned 2. I've said many times that I feel like she's been going through her "terrible twos" since she's been 9 months old. Now that she's acutally two, only God knows what she has in store for us!

She is such a sweet, independent little girl with such a wonderful personality, but you never know when she's going to turn on you. She could be happy and cuddly one minute and then fly off the handle, throwing whatever is nearby and start hitting, in a split second. It's actually quite amazing when you witness it.

Having said that, I LOVE having my little girl. As much as she likes to play superheroes or trains with her brothers, she is a girly, girl. She loves to wear necklaces and bracelets, color, dance, sing, push the stroller, and TALK. She says so much more than the boys said at her age and so much that we don't yet understand. Her favorite words/phrases right now are: no, kay (whenever I ask her to do something), gracias, HI, BYE (she always seems to yell both of these), lollipop, I want..., Nolan (she calls every boy Nolan, even Ethan), help please, look at, Dora, backpack, coloring, etc. The list is endless and she seems to say something new everyday and is combining 3 and 4 words.

She gets a lot of attention around here because she's a blonde little girl. She eats that up (unless she's in a cranky mood, then she just screams at them and they quickly back off). She is still sleeping in her crib, but climbs out when she is done sleeping or doesn't want to go to sleep. She still has her pacifier and probably will for a while. I was planning on taking it away when we moved here, but it really is a comfort to her and, with so many changes, I feel like she really needs it (and sometimes we need her to have it!!!). I'm pretty sure she's slowed down in growth. She got measured here and was average on the Mexican charts and, as a country, they're on the shorter side. She hasn't been outgrowing her clothes as fast either (which is always a good thing).

It's your birthday!
The kids all got well in time for Lydia's birthday. It was on a school and work day, so we waited for James to get home and sang and had some cake. I made the banana graham cracker cake that I usually make, but had to use what Mexico had to offer (crackers with honey instead of graham crackers). It was pretty close, but not quite as good as the original. Here's a picture and a video of Lydia on her birthday (ignore my gasping in the video when she reached for the flame!):



We waited to really celebrate until the following day when we went out to eat and then came home and did the pinata and presents...

As you all know, pinatas are huge in Mexico. My kids love pinatas and they're so different and
cheap here, that I decided to get one for Lydia's birthday. She has really been into Dora lately, so I picked up a Dora pinata and filled it with some candy. You should see how big these pinatas can get!! Lydia recognized that it was Dora right away and started singing, "backpack, backpack" when she saw her backpack!
We had our neighbors, Ken and Yuki, over to help us break it and to share the candy with.














Lydia got to go first (video). She was a little apprehensive at first because it was Dora, but then she went for it. You can hear in the video Naoko, Ken, and Yuki singing the pinata song. They've lived here for 5 years, so they know it. The kid is supposed to hit the pinata until the song is over. It took a while, but the pinata finally broke...first the body flew off (Lydia was checking out the arm that flew off) and then the head broke open to reveal the candy.


Lydia opening a few of her presents...














HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LYDIA!!!!

No comments: