Basically since I moved to Mexico I have anmired a certain pottery. It's made about two hours away and is very unique. I convinced Newcomer's to plan a shopping trip to the Javier Servin Pottery shop, so, last week, I finally got to buy a few pieces of the beautiful pottery. We also got a tour of the factory. No matter how many times I view different factories around Mexico, I am still amazed at the talent, quality, and skill that go into making the artisan pieces.
 |
| No broken pieces of the pottery are wasted. |
 |
One of the fourteen statues that will be placed
in the fountian above |
 |
| The floor in the factory...the broken pieces make a beautiful mosaic |
 |
He made both of these vases while we were watching...I
actually think the smaller one took longer! |
 |
| The molds for the different pottery pieces |
 |
The clay sticks to the side of the mold, when it is the desired thickness,
they pour out the remaining liquid |
 |
| Such detailed (and beautiful!) work |
 |
The painting room was completely silent as a dozen or so women
(and one man) worked on their pottery pieces |
 |
Believe it or not, this pot has a defect that was caused in the kiln, so, after hours
and hours of work, they have to recreate it! I was willing to overlook the defect,
but I'm sure it would have still been expensive since this is the more
detailed/ expensive version of the Javier Servin pottery |
 |
| The man himself, Javier Servin! |
No comments:
Post a Comment