Nolan's original tubes in his ears fell out a little over a year ago. He had not had an ear infection since, or so I thought. At the begining of the school year, Nolan's teacher, Miss Angeles, asked us to get his hearing checked. Long story, short, I took him into the ENT three times to try to get his hearing checked and each time his ear still had fluid and puss and, although the hearing wasn't tested, the fact was that he was not hearing at 100%.
The ENT recommended that he get tubes in his ears for the second time. So, he sent us off to get Nolan a blood test, his adnoids x-rayed, and a tympanogram. When we went to the audiologist to get the tympanogram (which measures the health of the eardrum) we found out that his left ear was really bad. The chart is supposed to peak in the middle, but Nolan's went flat and then negative. The audiologist didn't speak great English, so he just said "muy mal" (very bad) and left it at that. When I returned to the ENT I found out that it meant that his eardrum is perforated and he is basically hearing nothing out of that ear. Wonderful! He did wake up one night the week before we went to the audiologist screaming and crying that his ear hurt, so I wonder if that's when it happened. The x-rays of his adnoids actually showed a 50% blockage, which the ENT said isn't horrible, but it may be contributing to the chronic infections, so he suggested getting the adnoids taken out as well.
So, Friday, Nolan will be having surgery again. Please pray!
The Notebook Series: Books Up the Mountain
3 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment