This past weekend Newcomers had a daytrip to Tlalpujuhua, Michoacan (by the butterflies!). It is the home to the Christmas Ball (and decorations). I am so glad we did this trip! It was such a great little city and the factory, mine, and other artisians, were so interesting.
We had an early start and drove in a 9-car caravan to the small town just over two hours away. From there, Catherine and Lynda had planned for a bus and tour guide to take us to our stops along the way. We started with a beautiful view of the city at the top of the mountain and then went to the ornament factory. 80% of the ornaments made there are exported to the US. We got to see the whole process and it was amazing! Shopping in the store took us a little longer than expected, but the prices were ridiculous...20 cents an ornament, so we all had a lot of shopping to do! From there we headed to the silver mine and then to a groups of artisians, and, finally, comida!
 |
| The oncoming "traffic" on the way to Tlalpujahua |
 |
| Church by the parking lot |
 |
| On the bus, ready to go |
 |
Views from the mountain top. The landscape was so different
from the landscape in Queretaro, very green! |
 |
| The Christmas Balls Factory! |
 |
| Even the garbage can outside of the factory was pretty |
 |
| Making the ornaments...a bell |
 |
| Shopping, shopping, shopping |
 |
All of the ornaments were handpainted and so beautiful
Catherine and Terri Lynn with our first round purchases
|
 |
| Entrance to the mine |
 |
| Chris and Terri Lynn ready to go |
 |
| In the Mine |
 |
| I loved the look at the mine...I felt like I was in Virginia or something |
 |
| A really cool wall at the artisians place |
 |
One of the artisians. He made amazing pictures out of colored straw.
Here he's spreading beeswax to hold the design together |
 |
| Adding the colored straw to the beeswax...super quick I might add |
 |
| Everyone watching in amazement as he turns straw into artwork |
 |
| The colored straw he uses |
 |
This was done in about 5 minutes...not the finished product,
but crazy for the amount of time he did it in! |
 |
A finished product. All made from straw and beeswax.
I got Lydia a Tinkerbell picture that he made.
Shh...it's for Christmas |
 |
Another artisan...he made a cup and saucer
and a vase in about 10 minutes! |
 |
| The cup and saucer |
 |
| Starting the vase |
 |
He made the design at the top in about 2 seconds.
I bought a piece of pottery with this design. |
 |
| He let the kids make their own designs in the vase |
 |
The gallery...some beautiful pieces. Just to give you an idea, the vases on the
top shelf were around 500 pesos which, right now, is about $36!
I should have gotten one, but I went with a cheaper vase. |
 |
| The piles are getting bigger... |
 |
| Yes, I had stuff by Terri Lynn and my seat was pretty crowded as well. |
 |
| I just loved this town. The buildings, the crafts, everything! |
 |
| Last stop...street market. Catherine bought a reindeer! |
 |
And I don't think Catherine could get more purchases in the seat with her!
|
I think everyone bought a lot on this trip, me included. I couldn't believe how much I came home with and I spent less than $80. That's one of the many things I love about living in Mexico. Not only do we get to see how things are made, but they are actually cheap and we can buy them!! Lovin life in Mexico!
No comments:
Post a Comment