Sunday, October 24, 2010

Wonderful Charity

As I've mentioned before, I'm part of the International Newcomer's Club of Queretaro. One of our charities is a girl's home in Queretaro. It's a home for girls from the area that aren't able to go to school where they are from or are in difficult situations at home. There are about 20 girls living in the home right now from ages 6-18. They are so sweet and they love when we bring them dinners (usually once a month). In addition to the monthly dinners, members of the club volunteer to be a Madrina (Godmother) to a specific girl in the house. We buy our girl birthday presents and presents for Three Kings Day (January 6th).

A couple of weeks ago was my first dinner at the home (I got here too late last year to really get involved). I decided to bring Ethan with me because a couple of his friends were going to be there and I thought it would be a great experience for him. He had a good time and was asking lots of questions on the way home and even days later about why the girls lived there and why they couldn't go to school where they're from, etc, etc. I'm so glad he's starting to understand that everyone doesn't live like he does and that he is very fortunate to have the life he has.

We served the girls their dinner and then had a celebration of birthdays for the last few months. I met my girl, Maria. When I told her that I was her Madrina, her face lit up. She is 11 and smiling the whole time we were there. I really wish I could speak more to her, but my Spanish is not so strong still. I'm hoping I'll be able to converse with her a little more at the next event...the yearly Quinceanera!

Me with my "goddaughter," Maria

Some of the girls eating their dinner

Ethan sitting next to "our" girl, Maria (in the purple).


Nolan's friend, Mya, was there too (to the right of
Ethan). The girls could not get enough of her! At
one point, the one sitting next to her was feeding her!


Happy Birthday girls!!

No comments: