The Vicksburg Triathlon (Doubletime Triathlon) was one of the first for the triathlon season in the area (June 1st). The field was very competitive with lots of very expensive bikes and sponsored competitors....very intimidating for a first-timer! I was so nervous! The bullhorn sounded and I was off way too fast. I started off ok, but early on I swallowed a bunch of water, got kicked, and started panicking. I was not able to put my head back into the water the rest of the swim, which, obviously, slows you down! The whole time I was having my panic attack I was thinking that there's no way I'll be able to get through the Olympic swim...it's 4x as long!
When I got out of the water, I was just mad and tired from my full out panic attack. I got on the bike with shaky legs and started my 11 mile bike ride. I ate some of my "fuel" before dropping the rest on the ground and didn't drink enough water. Again, thinking the whole time, "I'm never going to be able to get through the Olympic, how and I going to tell Michelle that I can't do it." The bike was ok, although pretty slow. I got off my bike, put my running shoes on and took off (as much as I could while I found my legs!). When I came in to the finish I told Michelle that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do the Olympic, but, after about an hour, I was determined to finish the Olympic distance. I have been training for so long for it, I'm going to do it!
That night we went out with the Kammans to celebrate our accomplishment (Michelle got second in our age group!).
First Sprint Race stats:
400 yard swim - 12:22
Transition 1 - 1:51
11.25 mile bike - 42.21
Transition 2 - 0:57
5k run - 27:28 (personal record!)
TOTAL - 1:25:00
7th out of 11 in the female 35-39 age group
| Michelle and me ready for our race |
![]() |
| Later that night at the Skydeck! |

No comments:
Post a Comment