Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ethan's 6th Birthday

On September 26th, Ethan turned 6! I know I say this with every birthday, but I cannot believe that he is six already. It's weird with kids...time flies when you're the parents.

Ethan has changed a lot over the past year. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Ethan just started his second year at the Montessori school, which is considered his kindergarten year. He is the oldest kid in his class and, from what I understand, has taken a few of the younger kids under his wing and kind of helped show them the ropes. He loves all the "works" at his school and knows a lot about maps, can sound out almost any word, and has started working on addition and subtraction problems. Ethan loves learning (I hope that continues)!

His favorite thing to do is play Wii, which we definitely limit, and play any kind of board game with Mommy or Daddy...he has recently taken a liking to SORRY, which is a lot more fun for James and me than candyland!

Ethan and Nolan love playing together, but it still ends up turning into a fight about something nine times out of ten, which makes me sad, but I know that's brothers. As far as his sister, Lydia goes, she can do go wrong. They definitely have a mutual adoration for each other, which I hope continues as they get older (poor Nolan!).


Ethan has become more coordinated in sports over the past year. In the spring he played tee ball, over the summer he took golf lessons, and right now he's doing gymnastics and playing soccer. I'm still not sure he will be our "athlete," but he's a hard worker and he loves anything he's doing at that moment.

He still has a dramatic side, but he is keeping it in check more often these days. We have our differences, but, overall, he's a great kid!

Ethan's birthday was on a Saturday this year, so we were able to spend the whole day together as a family. Ethan woke up (way too early for my liking) to a decorated house and cake for breakfast (he requested homemade carrot cake). He opened his presents and then had a soccer game and soccer pictures to run off to. Later that day, we went to the circus and dinner in Grand Rapids.


Ethan (and Nolan)with his presents

Opening Presents


Ethan with a new Legos set and Lydia
with Ethan's new underwear on

"Happy Birthday to you..."

Ethan blew out his candles before
I could get a picture!

No comments: