The highlight of today was the new maid starting! Her name is Gude (Goo-day) and she's a little older (40s maybe) and has experience working in a house. She is wonderful! She got started right away and knew what to do without following me around and staring at me. She's great with Lydia and actually talks to her (which is great because I want her to learn Spanish!) and Lydia just loves her. Lydia loves everyone, but I'm glad she's comfortable with Gude!
The boys in their full school uniform (Nolanisn't crying because he doesn't want to go to school,
Ethan just grabbed him roughly before the picture)


Nolan didn't have a great day at Tae Kwon Do. I was told when I went to pick him up that he cried the whole time because he didn't know anyone. I'm not sure that's why he cried, but, the point is, he wasn't happy. Fortunately, I remembered Ethan's water bottle for soccer, so he, at least, had a great day at his activity.
Tuesday, February 16th
Today was pretty uneventful besides the huge fit Lydia threw at Wal-Mart while I was waiting to check out. She was throwing everything she could get her hands on out of the cart, crying, and screaming. It was ridiculous and everyone was staring at me. They put their kids in school at 1 or 1 1/2, so not very many people bring their kids to the supermarket. Very embarrassing!
That afternoon, I met a friend from Kellogg's at Gloria Jeans. She actually just moved here too, so it was nice to get to know her better. The coffee shop, of course, had a play area, so the kids stayed busy while we talked for over 2 hours!! Such a brilliant idea!
Wednesday, Februrary 17th
Unfortunatly, today it started raining again. People keep telling us that it doesn't rain here (especially at this time of year and all day long), but it keeps happening. I know it's been a pretty crazy winter everywhere, so I'm sure that's what it is. At least when it's not raining, it's beautiful!
I was proud of myself today because I went to the Telcel store and added minutes to my temporary cell phone. I even spoke a little Spanish! It's amazing how challenging these little things become when you don't know where you're going and don't speak the language. It's an accomplishment when all goes well.
We found out today that the dealership that had the Sienna we wanted refused to fix it. They said if we wanted it, we would have to buy it "as is." Well, that wasn't going to happen, so we had to start from square one. It's just so frustrating because there are not a lot of nice, used vans around here.
Ethan's soccer game was canceled and James was going to the Queretaro Gallos Blancos (white roosters) professional soccer game that night, so the kids and I ordered pizza. I ordered it over the phone which is always a mistake because you can't point and make hand motions, but I did get what I wanted. James had a great time at the soccer game even though it was raining and cold. Kellogg's spoonsers the team, so they have a box (which is quite comical according to James) and the uniforms have Kellogg's across the front. It's kind of fun!
Thursday, February 18th
Raining all day again. Ethan needed soccer shoes, so I left Lydia with Gude and ventured out to the mall. Again, I was very proud of myself for finding it and getting the shoes without too much trouble. I found the shoes quickly, so I had some time to browse the mall and compare prices. Some things were a lot more expensive (like toys!), but a lot of things are aroud the same price or less. The nice thing is a Starbuck's Grande Chai Latte is less than $3!
When I got home, Lydia was perfectly happy. If you know Lydia, you know that she does not like to keep her shoes and socks on (or her clothes, for that matter). So she's always walking around our house, on the cold tile floor, in her barefeet. Gude is always shoked that she doesn't have shoes on. She always says, "ooh, no zappatos, muy frio." She always puts Lydia's shoes and socks back on just for Lydia to take them off a couple of minutes later. I find it funny. I keep telling her that she won't leave them on. Lydia took her pants off the other day and I thought Gude was going to fall over.
Friday, February 19th
This morning I went to the Chiropractor. Yay for Chiropractors in Mexico!! I have been having so much trouble with my back and neck lately (the rental bed probably isn't helping!), that I couldn't wait to go! It felt so good to get cracked!
After, Julia showed me where the Mercado was. We made a quick trip to the fruit lady. The fruit was so fresh and cheap! I got a kilo of strawberries (over 2 pounds), a bunch of Mexican plums, nectarines, and kiwi for less than $5. I love the fresh fruits and veggies here!
I picked James up from work (we're down to one car since the van didn't work out) and went to see a Honda Odyssey! A guy from work is moving to Kalamazoo and selling his van. Basically, we turned our Odyssey in in the US and are buying it here in Mexico (same features, same miles, different color, but very familiar!). We're supposed to pick it up on Wednesday. It'll be such a relief when the car is taken care of.
The sun came out this afternoon, so we went to a local pizza place (yes, pizza again) and sat out on the patio. It was so nice to ba able to sit outside and enjoy the weather! No playground here, so the kids actually had to sit and we did not get to relax at all (and we broke a plate)! Pretty soon we're going to make Friday night date night!
Saturday, February 20th
I had my second language class. Yeah, it's like I thought, I don't really get "ser" and "estar." Worked on verbs today...ay, ay, ay, I feel like I will never be able to speak Spanish!
While I had class, James decided to take the kids to the coffee shop close by with the play area. I drew him a very detailed map, so he wouldn't get lost. He didn't get completely lost, which was good, but, apparently, he parked illegally and got a ticket. I didn't really know there were places you couldn't park, but James found one! When you get a parking ticket, they take your license plate, so I've been driving around with no license plate all week! Good thing they don't seem to care (I've had a couple of cops behind me lately).
That afternoon, the family went to the Mercado. It's very interesting...raw meat laying everywhere, skinned animals hanging by their feet, etc. The kids didn't really seem to notice or be bothered by it, they were just interested in the toys they saw eveywhere! James was a little freaked out by the whole thing. He told me if I ever buy meat from there, not to tell him. I would only go to a place that was recommended, but it'll probably take me a while to buy the meat. It's all very fresh, but, right now, I'll stick to the fruit and veggies. James got a couple of newer movies for $2 each. We watched Avatar tonight (and that's all I'll say about that).
A couple of picture at the Mercado...
The building of the Mercado
The toilet for kids...it was super small.
Inside the Mercado
Ethan and Lydia (with a little help) on one of the jungle gyms.




1 comment:
Glad to hear things are getting better! And that's awesome you finally have a good maid! Although I am very envious, I am so happy things are working out well!
Post a Comment