Saturday, May 24, 2014

Seahorse Olympic Triathlon

Although I had said that I would never do another Olympic Triathlon, I got the itch again decided to do the Seahorse Triathlon in Climax, Michigan.  I debated backing out of the race because of my foot injury (and the start of my knee bothering me), but, at the last minute, I just decided to go for it.  

Since it was the first race of the season, I, of course, panicked in the water...what the heck?!?!  The swim was further than I thought it was going to be, so I wasn't very happy!  The last Olympic race I did was just under a mile and this one was just over a mile (1.09 to be exact - 1750 meters).  That's a big difference when you're swimming!  Once I calmed down and started swimming normally, I started going to the wrong buoy so probably ended up swimming even more than I was supposed to!  Ugh!  

I finally finished the swim and got on my bike.  The bike was two 12 1/2 mile loops.  The first loop was fine because I had a lot of sprinters with me, but, once those sprinters went into transition, I was on my own.  The entire second loop I didn't see anyone!  It was really hard to stay motivated.  I was so glad to get off that bike (and so was my butt!!).  

As usual, the run was the easiest part of the race.  The 6 1/2 mile run was equal amounts of road and trail.  I do not train on trails, so I twisted my ankle a couple of times on the uneven ground.  I was so happy to finish the run and be done with my second olympic triathlon!  It really was torture and I am vowing to never do another olympic again...we will see!  Since it was an early season race, there weren't nearly as many olympic participants as there are in later season races, so the transition area looked like a ghost town when I crossed the finish line.  At least I didn't finish in last though.  I got 4th out of 5 women in my age group.  

My second olympic triathlon stats:
1750 swim - 43:53
Transition 1 - 2:31
40K bike - 1:39:10
6.5 mile run and transition 2 - 1:10:27 (For some reason they didn't split these two times...annoying!)

It was frustrating that this race was so much longer than the first one I did, so I couldn't really compare my time, but I'm sure I was slower!  Oh well, another one in the books!


Ethan and Lydia ran with me to the finish line.  Ethan made it the whole
way,but Lydia's Tom's didn't quite hold up to the challenge!
We did it!  Michelle did awesome as usual, but agreed it was a hard course!

No comments: